Summer is near! I’m sure most are mentally ready. But are you physically ready? Here are our 5 tips to stay healthy this summer:
- Stay hydrated- Increased sweating means increased need to stay hydrated. Aim for more than the standard eight 8-oz glasses water/day. Make things interesting by adding mint or frozen berries to your water. Keep high water content snacks on hand like cucumbers, watermelon and cantaloupe.
- Stay cool- Summer heat can be brutal depending on where you live, and heat strokes are real. You can avoid one by staying in the shade when outdoors as much as possible. Listen to your body and take breaks when needed. Have access to cold water. Seek help immediately if you start to experience headaches, dizziness, nausea, weakness and extreme thirst.
- Move more, sit less- The summertime is often a time for vacations and (at least some) relaxation for many. This is a great experience for one’s health. However, don’t let the change in schedule turn you into a couch potato. Aim for at least 150 minutes of moderate physical activity per week. Incorporate exercise into your vacation- walking, swimming, etc.
- Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen- Use a lot, and often, SPF 30 minimum. Ideally it should be used every time you leave your house, but particularly when you are going to be outside for more than 10-15 minutes. Reapply at least every 90 minutes. Help protect yourself from skin cancer!
- Get your rest- The longer the sun is out, the longer we tend to want to stay up. Regardless of the change in the seasons, adults still need an average 7-9 hours of sleep per night, and sleep is a crucial component of one’s overall wellness. Practice good sleep hygiene by keep your room dark and cool, and trying to stick to a schedule as much as possible.
At Salveo Direct Care, we focus more on proactive rather than reactive medicine. By following these 5 simple tips, you can prevent health problems before they occur, and have a more enjoyable summer!
Dr. Monica Salas with Salveo Direct Care